There are several reasons for the high number of orphaned children in Ghana.
- Various diseases, the lack of medical care, or natural disasters
- Many parents can not afford their children's nutrition and education needs
- Cultural factors
There are four distinctions of orphans:
- Children who have lost both parents by death
- Half-orphans or vulnerable children; children who have lost one parent through death and the remaining parent is not able to care for the child
- Children who have been exiled from their unknown parents
- A child who still has both parents but who are not able to supply the child necessary nutrition and education needs. These are called social orphans.
It is a sad reality but there are many poor families in Ghana. Parents simply cannot afford their children.